So the Big Game is right around the corner!
On February 2, 2020, Super Bowl LIV, the 54th Super Bowl and the 50th modern-era NFL champion game will decide whether the Kansas City Chiefs or the San Francisco 49ers are the league champion for the league’s 2019 and 100th season.
What’s the best part for you? The game? The food? The party? The fact that it’s the last game of the season? Here are some fun facts about the game we love so much.
- The Pittsburgh Steelers hold the record for most Super Bowl wins, having captured six Vince Lombardi Trophies. The San Francisco 49ers, Dallas Cowboys, and New England Patriots have each won five.
- According to the S. Department of Agriculture, Super Bowl Sunday is America's "second-largest food consumption day." (Only Thanksgiving Day beats it.)
- And about the food – according to one source, here are the top 10 Super Bowl Party foods:
- Deviled eggs – more points if you decorate them with little pieces of chives to look like footballs.
- Nachos – good, but not for the long haul – chips get soggy.
- Pigs in a blanket – should be called pigskins in a blanket.
- Potato skins – time consuming, but yum!
- Guacamole – good, but will look gross by the end of the game.
- 7-Layer Dip – Easy to make – people love it!
- Pizza – Heck, yeah – zero work – just pick up the phone!
- Spinach Artichoke Dip – another crowd pleaser – don’t forget to check your teeth!
- Buffalo Chicken Dip – make a lot – will go fast!
- Chicken wings – lots of flavor options you can make! (or see #4)
So, I wonder how Punxsutawney Phil feels about taking a back seat to the Super Bowl on what usually is his big day, Groundhog Day. The story is, that if the groundhog sees his shadow, then winter will last another six weeks. According to Phil’s people, he has been 100 percent accurate in his predictions - the numbers tell a different story. Stormfax reports that Phil has only had about a 39% forecasting success rate since 1887. According to a Canadian study that’s only 2% higher than the average success rate of 37% (the most accurate of the hog-nosticators in their study from Yellowknife came through with a 50% accuracy) It’s a fun tradition - but don’t bank on Phil and his shadow - might be warm before you know it!
Enjoy the game! Go Chiefs! Eat lots! And shadow or no shadow, we’re still 1 day closer to Spring!